Thursday, June 4, 2015

This Time of the Year!

Any teacher will tell you that this is one of the hardest times of the year! You work so hard doing all you can to meet the needs of each student, praying that you have done just that, met their needs-that what you have done is enough! And as the days count down until summer you start to feel that pit in your stomach...you have to say goodbye. Tears.

I was sitting at my U-table helping one of my struggling readers with some Annotation Marks while reading their Social Studies text. If you aren't familiar with Annotation Marks here is a sample of what they are:
I love using these when we are reading as it shows the students thinking! I of course model, model, model at the beginning of the year and you should see their marks now!

Ok so back to the U-table...I was helping a student, when I looked up and saw this:

Be still my heart! When you get to this point in the year with your amazing firsties and they are working together finding text evidence to back up their answers-you shout "winning!" Now my students already think I am crazy so why not shout "winning" and do a spontaneous dance party because of how hard they are all working?! Did I mention that they LOVE this and it makes them work even harder! As more tears rolled down my face I realized this right here-this small moment-is such a victory. As I tell my class, "together we are better!" But I have to say I think I got the better deal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment